Folinic acid

Folinic acid is an approved drug used to protect against the side-effects of folate antagonist drugs such as trimetrexate. Cells that absorb folinic acid are protected against trimetrexate, while those that do not absorb folinic acid can be seriously damaged by trimetrexate. Since folinic acid is taken up by human cells but not by, for example, Pneumocystis jiroveci organisms, the combination of folinic acid with trimetrexate allows the effects of the trimetrexate to be targeted against Pneumocystis.

Folinic acid needs to be continued for 72 hours after the last dose of trimetrexate to ensure adequate protection. Without folinic acid, trimetrexate can cause serious bone marrow suppression and kidney or liver damage.

Folinic acid may also be prescribed for people who are taking other drugs that can interfere with folate metabolism, such as intravenous cotrimoxazole.

The drug comes in the form of tablets or a liquid for intravenous injection.

Folinic acid is also known as leucovorin, calcium leucovorin or calcium folinate. It is available as a generic (non-brandname) product and is also manufactured by Pharmacia & Upjohn under the tradename Refolinon .

Community Consensus Statement on Access to HIV Treatment and its Use for Prevention

Together, we can make it happen

We can end HIV soon if people have equal access to HIV drugs as treatment and as PrEP, and have free choice over whether to take them.

Launched today, the Community Consensus Statement is a basic set of principles aimed at making sure that happens.

The Community Consensus Statement is a joint initiative of AVAC, EATG, MSMGF, GNP+, HIV i-Base, the International HIV/AIDS Alliance, ITPC and NAM/aidsmap

This content was checked for accuracy at the time it was written. It may have been superseded by more recent developments. NAM recommends checking whether this is the most current information when making decisions that may affect your health.

NAM’s information is intended to support, rather than replace, consultation with a healthcare professional. Talk to your doctor or another member of your healthcare team for advice tailored to your situation.